Front-end Engineer - Daily.co
We're growing fast and expanding the scope of what we're doing. We also do not currently have a dedicated front-end engineer on our team. So this is an opportunity to step in and take ownership of all of our front-end development at an early-stage team that values teamwork and loves UX.
What you’ll do
- You'll be responsible for implementing our video call UX and developer tools and dashboards across multiple browsers
- Create reusable, efficient React components for our pre-built video call UI.
- Prune and optimize our somewhat complex Redux state model :-)
- Work closely with other team members, including our product designer and our engineering lead, to extend the pre-built video call UX to support more use cases and configuration options.
- Build a new version of our developer dashboard from scratch
- Develop new ways for our customers to visualize and understand the quality and performance of — and any errors that happen in — our video calls
More about the role and work
- Salary: $120,000 - $150,000, based on experience. (We evaluate experience relative to the other members of our team.)
- Compensation is independent of location, and we offer competitive benefits and equity.
- You'll be the first front end hire.
- You'll work with colleagues across the team, and closely with our cofounders.
- As a remote team, we use asynchronous tools and daily reports to stay in the loop. We also have relied on practices like a daily standup call, weekly written updates, and 1:1s with managers. (Here's an older [blog post from our CEO on communications heartbeats](https://medium.com/hackernoon/the-importance-of-communications-beats-for-startups-fe2e3e3a870a) he's used over time.)
- 5+ years experience (ideally ... we're somewhat flexible on this).
- Care deeply about what you build; you nail the details.
- Love working with designers.
- Empathy with our customers — the developers and product teams who care deeply about what they themselves are building.
- Apply. We try to get back to everyone who applies as specified in the job description. Please bear with us — we appreciate it.
- Hello call
- A 1:1 video call, with you and either Nina or Kwin, the cofounders.
- This is for both sides to learn about each other, and see if we can have a good conversation where we're a fit. We'll tell you about what we're building, how we think about the market opportunity, and how our team works. We're eager to learn about you.
- Teammate call
- A 1:1 video call, with a colleague you'll work with. Daily.co is the team, working together. We want you to meet the colleagues here.
- Take-home exercise(s)
- We do not do live exercises or tests. (No whiteboard coding!) Instead, we give you a sample project to take home.
- Depending on the role, and your experience level, it can be anywhere from 5 hours - 1 week of work.
- We will pay you for your time.
- Review call
- A 1:1 call where you'll talk with Nina or Kwin about the project you worked on.
- We might schedule a second exercise. Again, we'd pay you.
- We talk to at least 2 people, and this will take time as we consider what they say.
Daily.co makes video calls easier. We believe live video is changing how we all live and work — and it should be much simpler, and faster, for anyone to build tools for the new remote culture. We make this possible by applying our combined 20 years of experience with video collaboration.