Industry Specialist - Presidential Innovation Fellows
The Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) program brings the principles, values, and practices of the innovation economy into government through the most effective agents of change we know: our people. This highly competitive program pairs talented, diverse individuals from the innovation community with top civil servants to tackle many of our nation’s biggest challenges, and to achieve a profound and lasting social impact. These teams of government experts and private sector doers are using approaches like design thinking and lean startup to achieve results for the American people in months, not years.
The position requires Fellows perform work of an exceptional degree of difficulty across a wide range of topics at the convergence of technology, policy, and delivery. The incumbent will leverage their experience deploying high-quality, user centric platforms and services to lead major initiatives, consult on systems and policy proposals, and provide technical, policy, and programmatic guidance to government. The individual will be expected to deliver innovative solutions that draw upon best practices. These solutions should have the potential to dramatically improve the delivery of government services, and provide value to the citizens at whom those services are directed.
The incumbent will use their demonstrated experience building and scaling initiatives to grow the effectiveness of the program.
Typical duties for the Presidential Innovation Fellow include, but are not limited to:
- Analyzing and scoping the technical and policy requirements needed to implement complex digital solutions;
- Conceiving/recommending projects/studies to advance the state of the art in the specialty area;
- Applying forwardthinking design and development principles to product development and program management, such as lean startup, user centered design, and agile development;
- Assessing the state of digital services provided by the Federal Government, and working to align strategies and practice; conferring with key government/private officials and top experts in the field;
- Representing the agency at technical symposia and/or conferences;
- Developing authoritative papers/reports; developing and leading adoption of governmentwide standards for digital services, leading to their adoption across citizen and businessfacing government services;
- Demonstrating thought leadership and contributing best practices in a variety of technologies and principles;
- Contributing to a talent strategy that includes recruiting innovators and entrepreneurs to participate in solving complex and esoteric challenges.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands)
- Suitable for federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- You may be required to serve a trial period
- Direct Deposit of salary check to financial organization required
- Register with Selective Service, if you are required by https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration
- Serve a one year trial period, if required
- Undergo and pass a background investigation. You must be granted this clearance before you can start the job
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of
- Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this
- Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment
- Complete a financial disclosure report to verify that no conflict, or an appearance of conflict, exists between your financial interest and this position
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts against a scoring rubric created for this role. In order to properly be able to evaluate your previous experience, we recommend being as detailed as possible in your resume and following our general guidance on creating federal style resume.
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
1. Experience navigating highly ambiguous or uncertain situations to deliver results. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Leading stakeholders through organizational change demonstrated by: Leading a cross-functional team to meet strategic objectives; Garnering support for team by persuading others to provide approval, funding or resources; or Adjusting strategy based on qualitative or quantitative strategy.
- Working in a team-oriented environment and collaborating within teams.
- Working as an entrepreneur (i.e started and grown companies or organizations) measured in increased revenue, clients or users; OR intrapreneur (i.e. starting and/or leading initiatives within corporate, academic or non-profit institutions) measured by increased revenue, promoted growth, drove business strategy, acquired clients or customers/end users.
2. Experience applying technology innovation craft to the design and development of products and services. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Advising organizations on developing and delivering digital products or services, contributing to the development or the evolution of the organization’s technical strategy, and leading technical teams (i.e. providing mentorship, reviewing code and overall architecture and making technical recommendations).
- Leading cross-functional teams (e.g. product leads, developers, content designers, and other UX designers) in the research (i.e. planning, conducting, analyzing, translating & sharing user research) and design (e.g. developing wireframes, site maps, journey maps, process flows and prototypes,) of digital products or services using User Experience principles & practices (e.g. User Centered Design, Human Centered Design, Design Thinking).
- Driving the success of a product by leading the product vision, developing the product roadmap, utilizing innovation methodologies (e.g. Lean Startup, Agile, User Centered Design, Human Centered Design, UX Design, Experience Design) and leading cross functional teams (e.g.developers, content designers, UX designers, strategist) to design, develop, and deliver digital products or services.
- Experience functioning in an organizational leadership capacity as a data scientist (using predictive analytics) or working in an organizational leadership capacity in the field of artificial intelligence/machine learning which can include: utilizing tools, algorithms or mathematical/statistical modeling techniques to positively impact business outcomes.
Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
For each job on your resume, provide the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year or “present”)
number of hours per week you worked (if part time)
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
After the closing date:
- ELIGIBILITY/QUALIFICATIONS: Your application will be reviewed for all requirements.
- REFERRAL TO MANAGEMENT: If you meet all the requirements, you may be referred to management for review and a possible interview.
- SELECTION/TENTATIVE JOB OFFER: If you are selected, you will receive a tentative offer and start the suitability and/or security background investigation process.
- FINAL JOB OFFER: Once our security office determines you can come on board, you will be given a final offer.
About Presidential Innovation Fellows
The Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) program is a highly selective, non-partisan tech fellowship that pairs talented mid-to-senior-level entrepreneurs and technologists with top government leaders to take on complex projects that have the potential for significant impact.
The program was launched in 2012 by former U.S. Chief Technology Officer Todd Park, and since then, more than 150 Fellows have worked within over 35 agencies. Over half of the Fellows have decided to stay in government after the PIF program, and have gone on to lead new digital teams and serve as chief technology officers, chief information officers, chief data officers, and chief marketing officers at various agencies.