Software Developer - Alley interactive
We recognize several levels of seniority and experience for developers, and tie compensation and responsibility to this. We are looking for all levels of developers for this position.
Software Developers are a key part of Alley’s team. Each developer will be deeply and personally involved in several client projects, and will work collaboratively with other members of the Alley team and with the client's principals as well.
Our developers need to be well-rounded technologists who have a holistic understanding of the web technology stacks that we work with, but who can also interface with clients in a professional and intelligent way.
We're not looking for rockstars, ninjas, zombies, or pirates. We're looking for smart, creative, resourceful developers who want to work with impressive clients and who take pride in their work.
- Our primary development language is PHP. You must be fully fluent in PHP and have worked with it in a professional context before.
- Prior experience with WordPress is a major plus. If you haven’t worked with WordPress, you should be excited to learn and develop with it.
- Alley prides itself on its ability to address unusual, novel, and complex problems that deal with the intersection of technology, business, and content production. You should understand and be able to discuss web technologies and systems conceptually, and be able to demonstrate that you can learn a new language, technology stack, or framework quickly and on demand.
- You should feel comfortable at a Unix command line, even if you aren't an expert.
- You must know your way around git and understand version control well, and be able to carry out typical operations with it, including branching, merging, submitting code for peer review, and reviewing your peers’ code yourself.
- We apply Scrum as a development methodology, and broadly endorse Agile as a philosophy. You must be open to working this way as well, and prior experience is a plus.
- You should also have very strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to wield them with both team members and clients.
- Important “soft skills” at Alley include: discipline concerning delivery dates, stylistic appreciation of what makes code good and readable, and a positive attitude about documentation, tickets, issue tracking, and timesheets.
About Alley interactive
The true measure of our achievement is the success of our clients, who collectively serve more than a billion pageviews per month across news, entertainment, and policy channels. None of that can happen without high-test technology solutions that underpin websites for organizations like the New York Post, The Denver Post, and The Brookings Institution. We’re proud to say our handiwork provides the structure for the resounding post-launch success of these sites and many others, supporting their ongoing growth and helping them to keep up with the Internet’s pace of change.